The downhill slippery slope to year end
It’s November! Already! The matric exams are well underway, December holidays are planned, Christmas decorations are up in malls, and we already have business meetings in the diary for 2019.
But perhaps the most tell-tale sign that the end of year is upon us is the fatigue I see in most people’s faces. It’s been a long year, everyone is tired, and procrastination is creeping in. People are putting things off to next year, closing off new orders for the year and the countdown to the silly season has begun.
So, it’s been exciting to land new clients who understand that November is a great time to give their business one last push. Olympic athletes don’t slow down and take their foot off the accelerator when they see the finish line. Nor should you… especially if your competitors are switching off.
As you start the downhill slippery slope to 2019, ask yourself… What was on your list of things to do this year that you haven’t got to? Can you find the focus and energy to tick it off the list before you shut up shop? There’s no time like the present and nothing like a bit of pressure to get it done quickly and efficiently. Do you really want to end the year looking at a failed goal?
If the day to day operations in your business really do slow down around this time of year, use the time to work ON your business rather than IN it
Here’s some business tasks for this time of year
• Set your goals for 2019. Involve the whole team and get them to do the same for themselves.
• Prepare your 90 day plan for the first quarter of 2019.
• Review budgets and set targets for profit.
• Design and implement new systems and procedures that will make your business more efficient next year.
• Review policies, procedures, contracts.
• File everything so your documentation is in an obvious place when you need to access it.
• Implement team building and fun activities for employees to build morale.
• Train your staff so that your workforce is more skilled for next year.
• Clean up your debtors’ book.
• Brainstorm with the team to think of new projects, products, services that you could add to your current offering.
Yes, the finish line is in sight. Are you going to limp over the finish and hope that next year will be better, or are you planning to finish strong, well positioned for a successful 2019?
bizHQ is still open for business… it’s the perfect time to start a coaching programme. Looking forward to hearing from you if you need help to end 2018 on a high and plan for a successful 2019.